Liberty Summer School
Getting to know liberalism
The Liberal Institute is committed to supporting and promoting the thought leaders and opinion makers of tomorrow. We aim to train critical, independent and also unconventional thinking. The four-day Liberty Summer School offers the opportunity to learn about classical liberalism and to delve into various issues of current relevance.
What is it about?
The Liberty Summer School offers 25 young talents between the ages of 18 and 30 an exciting introduction to the history of liberal ideas and their relevance to current problems and challenges. Who were Frédéric Bastiat, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich August von Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and Ayn Rand? What timeless insights have they left us? How can they help us gain a new perspective and better deal with today’s challenges?
Participants can expect many inspiring presentations by renowned experts, lively discussions in an intellectually stimulating environment, and various exciting workshops. The whole thing is rounded off by an entertaining social program, during which the personal acquaintance of the seminar participants with each other should not be neglected – be it during a film evening or a dinner on Lake Lucerne.
A number of absolute top speakers appear at each Liberty Summer School. They include renowned university professors, successful entrepreneurs, think tank leaders and respected publicists.
The speakers at Liberty Summer School 2023 are:
- Philipp Dammer, translator of several of Ayn Rand’s works.
- Carlos A. Gebauer, lawyer and publicist
- Dr. Titus Gebel, entrepreneur, doctor of law and author
- Olivier Kessler, Director of the Liberal Institute
- Prof. Stefan Kooths, Chairman of the Friedrich August von Hayek Society and Director of the Business Cycle and Growth Research Center at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy
- Prof. Thorsten Polleit, Professor at the University of Bayreuth and President of the Ludwig von Mises Institute Germany
- Prof. Henrique Schneider, Professor at the Nordakademie School of Economics
- Surprise guest
Participants will be offered a strongly discounted price of 150 Swiss francs. The actual costs exceeding this amount will be covered by a generous scholarship from the Liberal Institute.
What we can offer to the participants
The following services are included in the price:
- Participation in the lectures, discussions and workshops
- Conference materials
- Three overnight stays
- Catering during the stay (breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee breaks)
- Participation in the social program
- Access to the pool area, sauna, steam baths and gym during leisure time
The fact that the Liberty Summer School can be held under good conditions and that all participants can be offered a generous scholarship is due to the following main sponsors:
Bonny Stiftung für die Freiheit
Reichmuth & Co
The Liberty Summer School takes place at the Hotel Alexander Gerbi in Weggis in the canton of Lucerne. In addition to beautiful seminar rooms, restaurants and hotel rooms with a fantastic view of Lake Lucerne, the hotel also offers a fitness and wellness area that can be used by the participants during their free time.
What we expect from the participants
In addition to an impeccable knowledge of German, we expect participants to have a genuine interest in economic, political and philosophical issues and a willingness to broaden their own intellectual horizons. In addition, we expect the ability to engage in objective discussion and respectful exchange of views, with the focus on gaining knowledge.
Who can apply to participate
Students and professionals between the ages of 18 and 30 are invited to apply. Use the form below to apply by March 31, to participate in the next Liberty Summer School.
Use the form at the end of this page to apply by March 31, to participate in the next Liberty Summer School.